CCGs are responsible for commissioning health services for armed forces’ families (where registered with NHS GP practices) and for veterans and reservists (when they’re not mobilised).

More about health care for the armed forces community can be found on NHS Choices.

Tell them you’ve served

Veterans and reservists are encouraged to tell the NHS services that they come into contact with that they have served in the armed forces.

This will allow greater awareness and identification of their health needs, as well as access to more specific health and mental health support.

Also, under the Armed Forces Covenant, veterans and reservists have the right to priority access to NHS hospital care for any conditions which are likely to be related to their service, subject to the clinical needs of all patients.

To register your veteran, reservist or armed forces family status, please contact reception at your GP practice. Alternatively, you can fill in this form and take or send it to your GP practice.

South Central Veterans Service

The South Central Veterans Service provides support for anyone who has mental health issues and has served in the British armed forces in any rank at any time in their lives.

This might range from problems adjusting to life outside the armed forces for those who have recently left, to post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) many years later.

The service is provided by Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust and more information can be found on their website.